Sunday, September 20, 2015

Wait, how long has it been?

It's been 2 full years. And I'm back. But this time, I'm doing it from Brooklyn, NY.

In the last 2 years I quit my job in Santo Domingo, moved 1500 miles, started a new job, and started a Master's program in TESOL. The fiancé became the husband, and for a year and a half, we journeyed the nightmarish process of immigration together until he finally came to NY to stay in August (Yes, just a few weeks ago.).

So much change (and work) in the last year overwhelmed me. I missed the ocean and my life in the DR. I missed our apartment, with the sea breeze and our view of the crystal blue water. I let fear and exhaustion snuff out my creativity, passion, curiosity for life. I felt like I lost my sparkle. Sometimes it fades into the background, and we are only reminded of it in our deepest moments of self-searching - that it is still there, waiting for us to pick it up again.  I am grateful to have picked it back up again. Thank you for waiting for me, little light.

Today's recipe is going to be a recipe from my Mom. My parents were instrumental in listening to me this year, giving me advice, telling me to keep going, and never giving up on me, even when I felt like giving up on myself. So, thank you, padres. I couldn't have done it without you.

Oven-baked (GF) Breaded Chicken
(Adapted from Betty Crocker)




Oven Baked GF Breaded Chicken with Black Beans and Rice, Salad, and Avocado


1 tablespoon vegan butter (I'm using Smart Balance!)

1 cup of gluten-free flour (It can be Gluten Free Bisquick, like in Betty's recipe, or it can be a mix. I used what I had in the fridge, which was half garbanzo bean flour and half pancake mix flour. It sounds strange, but the pancake mix gave it a sweetness that I loved!) 

1 teaspoon salt 

1 teaspoon chili powder 

1/4 teaspoon pepper 

2 eggs, beaten 

3 lb chicken drumsticks and thighs

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Melt the butter in a 9x13 baking dish in the oven.
In a medium bowl, mix the gluten-free flour, salt, chili powder, and pepper. Place the eggs in a separate, wide container. Dip the chicken into the eggs, and then coat it with the gluten-free flour mixture. Keep going until all of your chicken is coated! 

Place the chicken skin-side down in your baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes, and then turn the chicken. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked! 

Serves: 6-8



a buen tiempo!

No comments:

Post a Comment