Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dominican Arepitas and a little Julie and Julia Action




I've decided I'm going to cook my way, the best I can, through a popular - or better said - iconic Dominican cookbook: Aunt Clara's Kitchen.

Consider this an intercultural version of Julie and Julia. I'm embarrassed to say I got my idea from this movie, but whatever, I love Meryl Streep. The point is that I'm going to learn how to cook like a Dominican - but hopefully with less of the two scary ingredients that they use the most: salt and sugar.

Food is such an important part of any culture, and I really need to learn how to take advantage of what is available here. What better way to do it than copying Amy and Meryl?

I'll be going back and forth between Aunt Clara and my own recipe adventures, so don't be alarmed if you see something super North American like corn-dogs in the mix!

The recipe for today is simple: Dominican Arepitas. I'm going to dare to compare arepitas to our idea of dinner rolls. They act as a side to the typical Dominican lunch: rice, beans, and meat. They are sweet, addictive, and because I am not partial to what is eaten at what meal, I've been eating them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.


Recipe

Dominican Arepitas

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup oil for frying
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon aniseed
2 eggs

Mix together all of the ingredients, except for the oil. In a frying pan, heat the oil. When it is hot, place one spoonful of the arepita dough at a time into the oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides and serve!


a buen tiempo!





No comments:

Post a Comment