Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Taste From Home: Potato Salads!

Original Southern Potato Salad

Asparagus Potato Salad


Ah, potato salad, a typical Southern food from the U.S. of A. Well, at least that's what I've been reading. Even though I'm from North Carolina, we did not each much potato salad in my house growing up - probably because of my sister, the picky eater! My sister, Caroline, was notorious for having a love for pizza and pasta when she was younger - and not much else! However, when I told my mom that I was making potato salad as a part of dinner last week, she surprised me by telling me her mother made the most amazing potato salad when she was younger. I don't have this recipe yet, but once I get it, I'll be sure to try it and add it to La Buena Fe.

Anyway, there are always potatoes and eggs in my house in the DR, so potato salad seemed like it could become a new staple for us. I tried one original recipe, and then I tweeked it to add in asparagus. They both turned out really beautifully.

If you normally stay away from potato salad because of the fat content, think again! One thing I have added in each recipe is the option of using non-fat, probiotic plain yogurt instead of mayonnaise. This change is wonderful because it does not take away from the taste, and it makes potato salad manageable in your diet. I used non-fat, probiotic plain yogurt in both recipes. They tasted great, and I felt good about what I was putting into my body!


Enjoy it as a side dish or bring a big batch to a potluck - however you decide, you will not be disappointed!


Recipes

Original Southern Potato Salad

4 potatoes, peeled chopped into cubes
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped into cubes
1/2 stalk celery, diced
1/4 cup sweet relish
5 chives, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/2 cup light mayonnaise or non-fat, probiotic plain yogurt
salt and pepper to taste

First, boil the potatoes and eggs together for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Chop the eggs. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, and all of the other ingredients together until everything is sufficiently mixed. Serve warm or chilled!


Asparagus Potato Salad

1 lb. potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and cut into cubes
1 15 oz. can of asparagus (Or the equivalent in fresh asparagus! You wouldn't believe it, but fresh asparagus does not exist in the Dominican Republic!)
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
5 chives, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons sweet relish
1/2 cup light mayonnaise or non-fat, probiotic plain yogurt
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste


First, boil the asparagus (canned or fresh) until it is tender, which is only about 5 minutes. Second, boil the potatoes and eggs for about 20 minutes, until the eggs are cooked and the potatoes are tender. Chop the eggs and place them along with the potatoes and asparagus in a large bowl. Add the onion, garlic, sweet relish, red pepper, light mayo or yogurt, dijon mustard, salt and pepper and mix gently. Serve warm or chilled!


a buen tiempo!



No comments:

Post a Comment