Friday, May 6, 2011

Shout out to Cinco de Mayo: Fish Tacos




When I think of Cinco de Mayo, I think of margaritas. Natural, lime, strawberry, passionfruit (never had one? Come visit me in the DR and you can try anything with a passionfruit twist) - whatever flavor they come in and as long as they are dipped in salt, they are fine with me.

2 reasons why on this Cinco de Mayo I wanted to stay away from my yearly marg indulgence:
1. Ok, I lied. I have a love-hate relationship with margaritas. The sugar gives me a stomach ache. However, they are necessary part of celebrating Mexico like a real American - with tacos, tequila, and dressed in the obligatory stars and strips outfit. Don't lie, you know you have one.

2. I haven't tried it but I'm assuming that a hangover is not conducive to teaching 1st-5th graders.

During my last planning period yesterday I scoured my brain and the internet for other options. I already had tuna in the house after Tuna Salad...Salad earlier in the week. Thus, fish tacos were born.



I'm finding so much peace in cooking. The world becomes quiet for me in every step of the process: looking for recipes, chopping, dicing, and mincing, sharing it while it lasts, and then writing about it after the fact.

Recipe

Tuna Tacos

8 corn tortillas
2 6 oz. cans light tuna
2 large ripe tomatoes
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
3/4 cup, lightly packed, cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of your preferred hot sauce
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Juice from 1 lime
3 ounces of whatever cheese you prefer! Feta would be an excellent choice.

Mix all these ingredients in a bowl. Heat a non-stick pan on low and add the tuna taco mixture for 3-4 minutes. The spices and juices from the tomatoes and vegetables blend together really nicely when heated! Remove the mixture and place aside. Wipe the pan clean and add 2 corn tortillas (without oil). Heat each side for 2 minutes. Repeat this step until you have heated as many corn tortillas as you wish.

This recipe is enough for 8 tacos. The fiance and I ate 2 each for dinner, and we've had the others for lunch and leftovers!



a buen tiempo!




No comments:

Post a Comment