Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mango Salsa and the Upcoming Sweet Sweet Summa Time




What better for summer than a sweet citrus-y Mango Salsa? With a glass of white wine (even though that's red you see in the picture), and a beach, or a pool, or a roof of an apartment building (take your Vitamin D where you can get it) - it's a perfect recipe for relaxation.

Remember the Mango Salsa that I talked about in one of my earlier posts? I made it again, with a few twists, and this is the result. If you are like my fiance, the mix of fruits and vegetables will surprise you. Trust me - the cucumber gives a fresh balance to the citrus, and all the colors together make it really beautiful.

It was nighttime when my friend Jenny and I made this salsa, and the camera did not take the picture as well as I would have liked, but you get the idea. The next time I'll be sure to make it clearer.



The school year is ending and I'll be honest in the fact that I'm relieved. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love most of my students. For example, it's my sister's birthday, and my 5th graders and I just left her a message singing Happy Birthday! These are the fun moments, when we are all starting to relax because we can see the end.

Remember when you were in school and the end of each year brought so many possibilities? Sweet sweet summer is a time to do everything that there never is enough time or inspiration for during the school year. It seems to be an infinite space where anything is possible - from 'exploring new worlds' in my backyard when I was younger, to just sitting by the pool with a drink in one hand and a book in the other (my current daydream).

No one thinks about its end, only in its promise. By the time it's August, its magic has saturated your exhaustion with a new sense of hope, the hope in retaining the peace that summer instilled in you.



Does this sound dramatic? Of course it does! It's time for a break!



Recipe

Mango Salsa

1/4 red onion, diced
1 ripe red juicy tomato, diced
2 mangoes, peeled and diced
1/2 large cucumber, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 lime juice
1 teaspoon of olive oil
2 tablespoons hot sauce of your choosing (optional)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Pour yourself a glass of white wine, open a bag a corn chips, call your friends. Enjoy.

a buen tiempo!




No comments:

Post a Comment